Friday, November 20, 2009

Over 13 years living with HS and this is my first diary...

I've decided that I want to document my daily life with Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS for short). This journal is more for my own medical record needs and to document every single flare up and how it has affected my life so negatively. Today is Friday, November 20th and I've been unable to go to work since last Tuesday, and although I do have FMLA at work, I've been missing way too much work because of my flare ups. It is financially/physically/emotionally debilitating and the more stress I have, the more the condition flares up. I started getting boils around the age of 11, self diagnosed at around 13 with internet research and saw many doctor's including multiple Dermatologists who all brushed it off as a staph infection and would prescribe nothing but numerous anti-biotics and different washes and creams. For years I have dealt with the daily pain, the immobility and emotional burden without seeing any doctors since finding a doctor with HS experience was not easy, and since there are no known cures or treatments that work I realized I will have this debilitating condition for the rest of my life and the doctors prescribed things purely on trial and error. I've seen two doctor's with knowledge of my disease this last year, but there has been no improvement, it's actually gotten worse the last few months. I have taken numerous anti-biotics that are only temporary relief if any, washes and creams and gels, prescribed and over the counter such as Phisoderm, Cetaphil, PanOxyl/Benzoyl Peroxide wash, Dial Anti-bacterial washes, have tried taking herbal supplement Tumeric, tried using Tea Tree Oil on the boils, cold and hot compresses, boil-ease, etc etc... the list really goes on and on. Not to mention all of my clothes getting blood stains, not being able to wear tank tops comfortably, or even short sleeves, forget shorts and skirts... bras with wires hurt horribly and I have a large chest and need the extra support, I have gone into times of slight remission, and when I say remission, it's maybe 80% remission, where it was tolerable, but it's only gotten worse now and it terrifies me seeing photos of others with this condition and how bad it really does get. My dermatologist suggested bariatric surgery and unfortunately my insurance won't cover it, and I'm in all those grey areas when it comes to disability and whatnot. I just wanted to give a little background, I'm sure I will add more.... onto my daily journal...

No comments:

Post a Comment